“Partnering with…” Video Series
Each video in this series discusses a system that commonly interacts with NC’s child welfare system. Developed for child welfare professionals, these videos offer resource parents helpful insights into systems that may serve their children.
- Partnering with Schools (6:46, features Sally Scholle from Chatham Co. Schools)
- Partnering with Juvenile Justice | Courts (10:01, features Donald Pinchback, NC Dept. of Public Safety)
- Partnering with Juvenile Justice | Youth Development Centers (10:19, features Rachel Kudler, Chatham Co. YDC)
- Partnering with Guardians ad Litem (9:28, features Nicole Roman, NC GAL Program)
- Partnering with Mental Health Providers (11:51, features Donna Potter, Center for Child & Family Health)
This 7:17 minute video from the National Drowning Prevention Alliance teaches the “safer 3” approach to protecting children and others from potential hazards around pools and spas. For more water and pool safety tips and resources for parents and caregivers, please see the Safe Kids North Carolina page on the NC Department of Insurance’s website.
Click to watch these short video series designed especially for those caring for children and youth in foster care.
Former foster parent Donna Foster explains shared parenting in foster care, discusses common challenges, and offers advice to foster parents.
Part 1 (2 min.)
Part 2 (2 min.)
Part 3 (2 min.)
Trauma and Behavior
This series covers how trauma affects the brain, why traditional behavior management approaches often don’t work, the importance of positive relationships for healing, and advice for struggling caregivers.
Part 1 (5 min.)
Part 2 (4 min.)
Part 3 (5 min.)
Part 4 (4 min.)
This series covers why visits are so important, why parents sometimes miss visits, and research-based suggestions to get the most from visits.
Part 1 (3 min.)
Part 2 (3 min.)
Part 3 (5 min.)
- How Fostering Can Positively Impact Birth Children
In this podcast, a foster parent interviews her adult daughter, who talks about how being part of a foster home increased her comfort when transitioning to college, nurtured her enjoyment of diversity, taught her flexibility and resilience, and helped her become a more compassionate community member. (8 min.)
- Relaxing 14-Minute Body Scan
To support you as a trauma-informed parent, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network offers a short podcast in which Karla Johnston-Krase leads a guided relaxation that includes a body scan similar to something called Yoga Nidra, a style of relaxation with amazing benefits.